Here are some tips to keep you and your family safe when traveling:
1. Airplanes-You know they are dirty. Did you know that patterns of infectious disease tranmission has been shown in the friendly skies? Think about it. The table trays are not always wiped down. The seat pockets are never cleaned so keep your stuff out of there. The armrests and headrest aren't either so consider packing wipes with you when you travel.
2. Traveling with a baby? - It is always recommended that you "wear your infant"- using a baby carrier through the airport. This allows you to manage your luggage while keeping your infant close in front of you so you don't have to sit them down in a dirty areas. Using the baby carrier is also a natural barrier from strangers wanting to come in contact with them and pass germs.
3. Zika-is still out there- Zika may not be in the news but pregnant women and women wanting to become pregnant need to take precautions when traveling to the Caribbean, Pacific Islands, Mexico, Africa, South America, or Asia. It is recommended to talk with your doctor about potential risks and precautions.
4. Wear your Seat Belts- Insist everyone where their seat belt when in a vehicle. If you have young kids please use the proper car seat or booster seat for them. When in a destination make sure you wear your seat belt as well. If you are on an excursion and riding in a vehicle that has seat belts make sure you wear them for your safety. Never ride or drive when under the influence.
5. Shots-When traveling internationally make sure you and everyone in your family have the necessary shots for anyone 6 months and older. Always check with your child's doctor.
6. Food Safety-It is always best to drink bottled water when you travel. Make sure your food is cooked completely. Be careful with the raw fish. Be careful with your blended smoothies and cocktails. You are saying what??? Just be mindful as the drinks with ice, etc. can be contaminated. If you are a cheese lover eat it in small amounts. Other countries don't process their cheese like we do so be careful or you will have an upset stomach.
7. Wash hands before you eat and after you use the bathroom-Take your time to wash your hands with soap. The hand sanitizer doesn't kill all the germs. Do this reguarly and thoroughly when you travel.
8. Toilet paper-Always take a roll of toilet paper with your when you travel. There are many countries that charge you to use the restroom. Europe is known for this. Many may only offer a few sheets which may not be enough or flat out don't have any. Put the roll of toilet paper in a quart bag and keep in your purse or backpack. You will be glad you did.
9. Stay Hydrated-This is very important when you are traveling espeically when flying. Always take an empty bottle with you so you can fill it up in the airport so you can have a larger amount of water on the plane. When you are traveling you can refill it as well so you have water with you at all times. A good goal is to consider what you weigh in pounds and consume half that number in ounces of water per day.
10. Medicine kit-Always take it with you. You never know when you will need it. Take some Ibuprofen or acetaminophen, bandaids, pedialyte, and antacids. If you use essential oils a few drops of Digize in some tea or water. It is great for heart burn.
Share the knowledge
I love to travel and explore the world. My goal is to help others actually experience their desired destination(s) whether they are traveling solo or as a group. The world has so much to offer.